I’m in love with the pho bowl. Sriracha sauce! We got Sriracha sauce!
It’s certainly no secret how much I absolutely love pho, a Vietnamese noodle soup made with bone broth, rice noodles, a herbs, and meat – usually. Surely there are alternatives for the vegans and vegetarians, but for me…bring the combination beef special minus the meatball.
And because I find a pho spot everywhere I go, here I am, sharing some of my favorite. Keep in mind I have miles to go before I’ve eaten at them all.
In no particular order:
1. Los Angeles: Pho 21. 721 Western Ave. The bowls are the perfect size, they give you all the limes you need, and the evening staff knows me by name, and they’re open til 3am every morning.
2. Montreal: Pho Saigon Vietnam. 1053 Boul St.-Laurent. The staff is absolutely amazing and friendly, there are three bowl sizes waiting for your appetite, and there is an endless pot of delicious green tea. Oh! And they give you chocolate fortune cookies at the end.
3. London: Song Que. 134 Kingsland Road. I was hesitant on listing London because I don’t much agree with how their sriracha sauce is weaker than I’m used to (it’s even a little more pink), but this place is really good with or without the sriracha.
4. Atlanta: Pho Bac. 4897 Buford Highway. How surprised was I when I found one of the best pho bowls in life in Atlanta? Very! Who knew the Vietnamese even went to Atlanta? Why? Well, whatever the reason, I hope the owners of this place stay so I can keep going back when I visit.
5. Seattle: Pho An. 12526 Lake City Way NE. Seattle has an abundance of Pho restaurants, and I’ve tried almost half of them, and this is my favorite, and I’m certain it will always be my favorite in the city til the end of time.
6. Barcelona: Bun Bo Vietnam. Calle Sagristans, 3. A huge, needed change of pace after roaming the endless streets and alleys of Barcelona. Something in the taste was slightly different, but it was a good different. Most customers are travelers as well, so this place also gives you the opportunity to connect with folks who may have great tips for you on your visit.
7. Paris: Song Heng. 3 Rue Volta. I’m just a customer in a long line of overly satisfied customers. This place is freaking fantastic. The ambience, the service, and of course the food. And you’re in Paris, if you like that part. I’d certainly support their decision to compete in a best pho competition.
8. Rio de Janeiro. Mekong. Rua General Urquiza, 188. I’m typically skeptical of fusion restaurants because I feel like their focus is too broad, but this bowl was amazing!
9. New York City. Nom Son. 245 Grand St. The afternoon after the infamous reunions hosted in NYC by my brother, Malcolm Jones, a few of use would head over to this no-frills spot and grab a big bowl and debrief. Perfect conversation over a perfect bowl after a perfect night! Win!
10. Washington, DC. Pho Viet. 3513 14th St. NW. Most DC people haven’t gotten into the Pho movement I’ve been attempting to push on them for the last 8 years, but I’m hoping this year they will. And this has to be the place they check out! A great alternative to a boozy Sunday brunch! Especially after a crazy Saturday night.
11. Tamarac (Fort Lauderdale), FL. Pho Hao. 5435 N State Rd 7 Tamarac, FL 33319. This unassuming spot in South Florida may be the greatest makers of Pho I’ve come across. The broth is undeniably perfect and everything else is just…well…GOOD. Ask Funmilayo!
12. Redford (Detroit), MI. 23838 Joy Rd. Redford, MI. On a solo lunch mission, I wandered into this spot, noticed the wall of photos highlighting the winners and losers of the Large Bowl Challenge, and immediately knew I was home. Food challenges, though I never entered one, are attractive to me. When my bowl arrived, I knew I was in heaven! Sadly, I had no one around to share my excitement with.
13. Phoenix, AZ. Pho 43. 2844 N 43rd Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85009. YO! Hands down, this is the best place on this list as of today (November 19, 2018). They close early, there’s usually a line, the venue is small-ish, but it’s so damn good. In fact, I’d drive the 6 hours it takes to get there from Los Angeles just to have another bowl. GO! Now! Thanks, Timmy D.
14. Harrisburg, PA.Pho 99. 1030 S 13th St, Harrisburg, PA 17104. Who knew Harrisburg could deliver pho that pho-king amazing? I mean…really. I took a friend who’s in law school nearby and as soon as we walked in, BAM, the aroma hit us and we knew we were in for a treat. And the large is truly large and cheap! Definitely in my top 5.
15. Sherman Oaks, CA.Let’s Pho. 4344 A Woodman Ave, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423. Wow wow wow! If you can, go! The oxtail pho will make you slap whoever is in the kitchen making the food this delicious! And the additional items, especially the beverages on the menu will only add to the experience. It’s love. Let’s pho right now!
A few things to note: Carry cash, expect slow service but rejoice if it’s fast, and if you don’t know what an ingredient is on the menu, ask! Then enjoy!
Have a recommendation? Please please please send me the address, and I’d be happy to go, eat, and enjoy! Join me on my mission to eat at them all. There is always room at my table.