Standby Isn’t For Everyone
The Thing About Flying Standby.
Patience, as the cliché goes, is a virtue. Get to the airport an hour or so before the very first flight headed toward your destination, and be prepared to be at the airport all day, hoping and wishing.
Things to know:
1. Show up knowing all possible alternative routes.
2. DO NOT get an attitude with representatives unless they get an attitude first.
3. Dress like you’re going to a religious temple and FLIRT like you’re in a hoe house. This may get you into that open first class seat they couldn’t sell.
4. Carry your necessities in your carry on just in case they send your checked luggage days before they send you.
5. Have enough money to eat at least 3 regular meals. Airport food is not cheap usually.
6. If you must, keep calling the customer service line. They all don’t follow the book. Someone will eventually help you.
7. Call ahead to find out the possibility of you getting on the flight. Ask what number you are on the list.